14-50 | Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard
Canfield, Ohio

Side A & B | Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard

Settlers from Connecticut were the first to come to Canfield Township in the late 1700s, and they were followed by a second wave of immigrants. Swiss-German pioneers who began arriving from Berks and Leigh counties in Pennsylvania in 1804. In 1810 these “Pennsylvania Dutch” established The Zion Lutheran and Reformed Church and built a log church and cemetery on this site. The church was destroyed by fire in 1845 and a new church served the congregation well until it too was destroyed by fire in 1894. The cemetery, known as The Old Dutch and German Burying Ground, German Cemetery, and Lynn Cemetery and now Old North Cemetery, is all that remains. Among the dozens of old stone markers, some in German, are markers for veterans of the American Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, and other wars.

Sponsors: Canfield Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society

2003

Notes

Coming soon...

SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL

1,465 or Bust // page created by Nicole Slaven // 2019 // Wix.com

14-50

Marker #14-50 Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard