20-15 | Log House Museum
East Palestine, Ohio
Side A | Log House Museum
This circa 1840s log house, which now serves as a museum and home to the East Palestine Historical Society, was originally located at the corner of West Main and Walnut Streets. Some of its most notable and earliest residents were Dr. Robert Chamberlin (1798-1876), the town’s first resident physician, and his wife Rebecca (1810-1895). Chamberlin practiced medicine for 30 years, serving the town as a township trustee in 1834, the first postmaster in 1836, and township clerk in 1839. (Continued on other side)
Sponsors: East Palestine Area Historical Society, and The Ohio History Connection
Side B | Log House Museum
(Continued from other side) Chamberlin was also a surveyor for the county as well as for the Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad, helping to lay out the line from the Ohio River to Salem. The last residents of the home, John and Mary Bozick, lived there from 1927 to 1978, 51 years. In 1978, the Bozick family donated the house to the local historical society. The structure was moved to 555 Bacon Avenue, on city park property, and opened to the public as the town’s first museum.
This marker is the newest addition to Columbiana County. Erected just last year, this marker was also the first for East Palestine and is located in front of the East Palestine Area Historical Society. Be sure to go check out this marker for yourself and to visit the museum while you’re there!