27-50 | The Old Stone Tavern
Side A & B | The Old Stone Tavern
Built in 1804 by Jonathan Fowler, one of the founders of Poland Village, this structure served as his family home, general store, tavern and a hotel all at the same time. It became an important stagecoach stop on the main highway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. In 1861, the future President of the United States, William McKinley was sworn into the Union Army from the tavern's front porch.
Sponsors: Town One Streetscapes, Village of Poland, and The Ohio Historical Society