3-50 | Maple Dell, Built 1848
Side A & B | Maple Dell, Built 1848
Maple-Dell was the home of John Butler, a Quaker who expressed his religious faith by working for humanitarian causes. An early Goshen Township teacher, Butler opened his home to orphans, the homeless, and runaway slaves, and devoted 20 years of his life to support the Freedman's Camps for former slaves. One of the many individuals he sheltered was Edwin Coppock who was hung along with abolitionist John Brown, after the raid on Harper's Ferry in 1839. Butler met with President Lincoln and Secretary of War, Edwin Stanton in 1862 to request exemption from military service for Quakers during the Civil War. In 1868, President Grant petitioned the churches to assist in organizing a peace policy for the Indians. Butler prepared and presented to Congress a proposal for treating the Indians humanely including providing them with scientific and industrial education.
Sponsors: Damascus Area Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society