8-50 | Friends Burying Grounds, 1807-1843
Damascus, Ohio

Side A & B | Friends Burying Grounds, 1807-1843

The Friends Burying Grounds, once located here on Lot 17 in the Village of Damascus, is the oldest cemetery in Butler Township, Columbiana County. Expansion of the Friends Church necessitated the re-location of the Friends Burying Grounds. No markers were found to identify the graves of the 118 persons exhumed here. The exhumed remains were reinterred in the Damascus Cemetery on Valley Road, one block east of this location. The exhumation (2001-2002) was directed by Prof. Dr. John White of Youngstown State University, assisted by staff, students, and volunteers.

Sponsors: Lot 17. Friends Burying Grounds Committee, Damascus Friends Church, and The Ohio Historical Society

2002

Notes

Coming soon...

To play, press and hold the enter key. To stop, release the enter key.

press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom