Mahoning County

County # 50

Explore our record of Mahoning County's markers through our notes, map, and photos.

Mahoning County was founded in 1846. It was carved out of parts of Columbiana and Trumbull Counties, and was named for the Native American word for “salt licks”. Canfield was the county seat until a decision by the Supreme Court moved the seat to Youngstown in 1876. In 1803 the Heaton brothers built the first iron blast furnace in Ohio. This began a long and intense period of industrialization.

Map

Markers
1-50 |Judge Turhand Kirtland, 1755-1844
2-50 | Ervin George Bailey, 1880-1974
3-50 | Maple Dell, Built 1848
4-50 | Forest Glen Estates Historic District
5-50 | The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Canfield Lodge No. 155
6-50 | St. James Episcopal Church
7-50 | Lot 17, Friends Burying Grounds
8-50 | Friends Burying Grounds, 1807-1843
9-50 | Hopewell Furnace
10-50 | Warner Brothers
11-50 | Pioneer Pavilion / Mill Creek Furnace
12-50 | Southern Park Stables
13-50 | Old Mahoning County Courthouse
14-50 | Zion Lutheran Reformed Churchyard
15-50 | Little Steel Strike 
16-50 | Oscar D. Boggess Homestead / Boggess Quarry
17-50 | Poland Academy and Poland Seminary
18-50 | Newport Village Historic District
19-50 | Canfield Congregational Church / Canfield United Methodist Church
20-50 | Canfield War Vet Museum 
21-50 | Canfield Green
22-50 | Canfield Christian Church
23-50 | Canfield WPA Memorial Building
24-50 | The Mahoning Dispatch Building
25-50 | Canfield Township Hall
26-50 | St. Augustine Episcopal Chapel
27-50 | The Old Stone Tavern
28-50 | Canfield Cemetery
29-50 | Canfield Fair
30-50 | Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Site
31-50 | Elisha Whittlesey
32-50 | Crandell Park, Fifth Avenue Historic District
33-50 | Harry Burt and Good Humor / Ross Radio Company
34-50 | St. Elizabeth Hospital
35-50 | President William McKinley Boyhood Home
36-50 | Central Square (1900-2004) / Stambaugh Building
37-50 | Central Square (1798-1899) / Union National Bank Building
38-50 | Mahoning National Bank Building / Central Tower
39-50 | Civil War Soldiers' Monument / Realty Building
40-50 | The Village Green and Graveyard / Poland Presbyterian Church
42-50 | Poland Village / Poland Town Hall
‚Äč

SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL

1,465 or Bust // page created by Nicole Slaven // 2019 // Wix.com